Sunday, April 13, 2008

Saving private Ryan

This movie was extremely bloody, but it was a good movie. It starts on the D-Day invasion, and focuses on self-sacrifice, teamwork, and working through your pain- emotional or physical. I think everybody who has ever seen this movie says their favorite part is where at the end the captain makes his final stand to give his troops a chance to escape, and because he has lost so much blood, and keeps getting shot he pretty much knows he's doomed, but wants to die fighting, so he starts shooting an armored tank with a 9-mil pistol (not a very effective anti-tank weapon) anyway, the tank suddenly explodes, leaving the viewer stunned at the impossibility, and then an allied tank-buster airplane zooms overhead, and you know that that help has finally arrived. There are a lot of parts in this movie that make it inappropriate for children, such as a guy slowly getting stabbed in the chest by a German soldier, but for older teens and adults this is a great movie. Being that I am in the army I can't exactly complain about blood and violence, but there are a lot of people who don't want to see that stuff, so I am warning you now, this is by far the most realistic and bloody war movie I have ever seen. It is not family appropriate, and since this blog considers in the rating the family-friendliness of movies, I can only give this movie a 7. However, I do recommend it if you don't mind violence and blood.

2 comments:

Karie said...

HI i am also home schooled and am a christian!!I love animal too!!!ps i am not lieing!!!

Anonymous said...

This movie changed my life.

After seeing Saving Private Ryan, I will never, ever need or want to see another war movie again. The only thing that went through my mind after I stumbled back upstairs was 'My God. That's what it was like. That's the way it was.' This movie like no other makes crystal clear, and brings to horrifying life, the carnage, the brutality, and the heroism of war. This movie like no other makes you realize that not only did our ancestors fight, and give up their lives, for our freedoms, but they literally descended into hell to do so. The language is obscene (as it was in real life), the blood flows liberally (as it did in real life), and good, Christian-born men descend to the level of animals and rip, tear, and bludgeon each other to death--and, as the main character does, often pay the ultimate sacrifice for their buddies. This movie makes clear like nothing else that war brings out both the best and the worst in human nature.

My great-uncle fought on the sands of Iwo Jima. He never, ever talked about his experience. After seeing this film, I can understand why. War saves countries but destroys men, even if they somehow live through it.

Personally, my favorite scene is the very end of the movie, where the old Private Ryan turns to his wife and asks her to tell him his life has meaning, that he did something meaningful with his life, as he stands over the grave of his Captain. That scene more than anything else in the movie stands out in my mind.

I don't see how anyone can enjoy watching this movie. But, if you've got an older teen who enjoys his violent video games perhaps too much, or doesn't properly appreciate the sacrifices of our soldiers, make him watch this movie.

I give it a 10. A truly horrifying masterpiece.