Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Kingdom

This movie was a very touching film. I thought it was really good. The violence was not nearly as bad as some reviews made it out to be, though still not quite family-friendly in that respect. The language was very realistic, making it unacceptable for children, I didn't count, but I'd guess I heard the "f" word probably somewhere around 30 times in the film, besides a sprinkling of Jesus' name used disrespectfully, G-D, D**n, S**t, Ba***rd, B**ch, etc... Being that I'm in the army, and that's about how a lot of soldiers do talk, I'm kinda 'used' to it you might say, but I wish they didn't have to put so much in this movie. However, I strongly recommend this movie if you can look past the language. It really makes you think, and it has a great plot. The story revolves around a small group of special ops FBI agents who go to Saudi Arabia to investigate a major terrorist bomb attack on an American oil base. There are three factions in this story- the Saudi Police/military, the U.S. FBI, and the Saudi Muslim terrorist extremists. One of the hard things about watching this movie was that this could all be happening for real as I watched it, as the type of terrorist weaponry such as car bombs and suicide bombers are being used by the terrorists right now against my fellow soldiers in the middle east. The graphics were very realistic in this film, the explosions were awesome, and I could almost swear I felt the rush of bullets flying past me in high-speed gunfights. I must say this movie, besides the over-usage of inappropriate language was one of my favorite films ever. I didn't mind the violence level, though I wouldn't let my kids see it if I were you. Once again, this was a great movie that can't get a high rating because of it's abuse of language, and the un-family-friendly violence. I say this movie deserves an 8 or 9 for great story and acting and such, but because of the language and other family-minded problems, i give it a 7.

No comments: